Ranking in Google

Discuss any search engine issues with other GoStats members. Topics may include: how to promote your site to search engines, how to get your site indexed, and which search engine you like best.
JimBb
Deep Thought

Ranking in Google

Post by JimBb » Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:09 am

Let's see if we can get this part of the forum activated :)
fantom1979 wrote:For those of you that would like to get on the list for google for their crawler to check out your site (so you can be in their search), follow the link and type in the needed info. It has worked for me, but it usually takes up to a month.

http://www.google.com/addurl.html
That's the start. Just give the top most URL of your site, and wait. And while you're waiting you might just as well make sure you end up as high as possible. The goal is after all not to just end up in Google, but to be found by as many people as possible, right? I don't know if this is the complete and /or perfect list of things to do, but they work for me at least.
  • Make sure your entire site gets crawled. Make sure the spiderbot that pays a visit doesn't stop at the first page.

Code: Select all

<meta name="ROBOTS" content="index,follow">
This little line in the Head section of your page tells the spider to index this page, and to follow every link. Sort of logical, right? Now all you have to do is to make sure that there are links the spider can follow: good old HTML links. If you're using a script for navigation you might consider a noscript.../noscript bit, containing all the links that are in the script as well.
  • Use keywords.
Yes, I can see what you're thinking, keywords as in

<meta name="keywords" content="dogs, cats, pets">
<meta name="description" content="Joe's Petshop">
That's a good start, but that's not all. First of all, consider using all the possible spellings, and that includes spelling errors. So "cats, dogs, pets" is a start, "cat, cats, kitten, kittens, dog, dogs, puppy, puppie, puppys, puppies, Joe, Joes, Joe's, pet, petshop, shop" is better.
It's a good start I said, because your keywords should not only be there. Ideally your page name (file001.html, ya know?), page title, description and keywords should match as closely as possible. And to top that, the same words should return in the text, the content of the page as well. So if Joe's Petshop has a page about dogs, it should be something like dogs.html, with "Joe's Petshop: dogs" as a title, and as many versions (and "brands" ;) ) of dogs as required in the keywords, and "Joe's Petshop: Dogs and how to properly take care of them" as a description.
  • Make good use of Alt-tags
For starters, Internet Explorer makes bad use of it. The purpose of an Alt-tag is to provide alternative text for an image. In case the browser doesn't show it, in case the file doesn't load, in case a speech-reader is used to browse. The purpose of the Title-tag is to provide a Title, and for example Mozilla correctly shows it as a "tooltip", whereas Internet Explorer uses the Alt-tag. You know what? Why not use both. After all, if Joe has an image of his shop and both the Alt- and Title-tag show "Joe's Petshop: a view from the street" the shop scores yet another few steps higher at Google.
  • Be Linked
Get listed wherever appropriate. Because the more relevant links to your page, the higher the "pagerank", which again boosts your ranking at Google. I'm sure there are doirectories specific to your subject, and I'm sure there is a category in www.yahoo.com or www.dmoz.org where you'd fit nicely.
  • Update regularly
New or renewed content will make you score higher. So update, maintain, improve, adjust, correct. Check your counter to see which keywords work and which not, you may have neglected something. And then that correction even scores you points :)
  • Don't cheat
Sure, you can write a half dictionary in your keywords, and use white-on-white text to match that. But don't underestimate the spider, they are more intelligent than you think. Cheating can make you actually drop pretty much.

Besides, what's the point of attracting people that are not looking for you? The goal is not attracting people to your site, but attracting interested people to your site. Admittedly the occasional lost visitor may think your site is interesting and participate or buy or whatever, but if you're Joe and you have a petstore, you primarily look for people looking for a petstore, right?

Jim

warlockx
web counter beginner

Post by warlockx » Sun May 09, 2004 6:44 am

JimBb wrote:Let's see if we can get this part of the forum activated :)
fantom1979 wrote:For those of you that would like to get on the list for google for their crawler to check out your site (so you can be in their search), follow the link and type in the needed info. It has worked for me, but it usually takes up to a month.

http://www.google.com/addurl.html
That's the start. Just give the top most URL of your site, and wait. And while you're waiting you might just as well make sure you end up as high as possible. The goal is after all not to just end up in Google, but to be found by as many people as possible, right? I don't know if this is the complete and /or perfect list of things to do, but they work for me at least.
  • Make sure your entire site gets crawled. Make sure the spiderbot that pays a visit doesn't stop at the first page.

<meta name="ROBOTS" content="index,follow">
This little line in the Head section of your page tells the spider to index this page, and to follow every link. Sort of logical, right? Now all you have to do is to make sure that there are links the spider can follow: good old HTML links. If you're using a script for navigation you might consider a noscript.../noscript bit, containing all the links that are in the script as well.
  • Use keywords.
Yes, I can see what you're thinking, keywords as in

<meta name="keywords" content="dogs, cats, pets">
<meta name="description" content="Joe's Petshop">
That's a good start, but that's not all. First of all, consider using all the possible spellings, and that includes spelling errors. So "cats, dogs, pets" is a start, "cat, cats, kitten, kittens, dog, dogs, puppy, puppie, puppys, puppies, Joe, Joes, Joe's, pet, petshop, shop" is better.
It's a good start I said, because your keywords should not only be there. Ideally your page name (file001.html, ya know?), page title, description and keywords should match as closely as possible. And to top that, the same words should return in the text, the content of the page as well. So if Joe's Petshop has a page about dogs, it should be something like dogs.html, with "Joe's Petshop: dogs" as a title, and as many versions (and "brands" ;) ) of dogs as required in the keywords, and "Joe's Petshop: Dogs and how to properly take care of them" as a description.
  • Make good use of Alt-tags
For starters, Internet Explorer makes bad use of it. The purpose of an Alt-tag is to provide alternative text for an image. In case the browser doesn't show it, in case the file doesn't load, in case a speech-reader is used to browse. The purpose of the Title-tag is to provide a Title, and for example Mozilla correctly shows it as a "tooltip", whereas Internet Explorer uses the Alt-tag. You know what? Why not use both. After all, if Joe has an image of his shop and both the Alt- and Title-tag show "Joe's Petshop: a view from the street" the shop scores yet another few steps higher at Google.
  • Be Linked
Get listed wherever appropriate. Because the more relevant links to your page, the higher the "pagerank", which again boosts your ranking at Google. I'm sure there are doirectories specific to your subject, and I'm sure there is a category in www.yahoo.com or www.dmoz.org where you'd fit nicely.
  • Update regularly
New or renewed content will make you score higher. So update, maintain, improve, adjust, correct. Check your counter to see which keywords work and which not, you may have neglected something. And then that correction even scores you points :)
  • Don't cheat
Sure, you can write a half dictionary in your keywords, and use white-on-white text to match that. But don't underestimate the spider, they are more intelligent than you think. Cheating can make you actually drop pretty much.

Besides, what's the point of attracting people that are not looking for you? The goal is not attracting people to your site, but attracting interested people to your site. Admittedly the occasional lost visitor may think your site is interesting and participate or buy or whatever, but if you're Joe and you have a petstore, you primarily look for people looking for a petstore, right?

Jim
Jim Bb good info thanks, can you post more info on how to get on all the small ones??
Go to our website http://www.americanlegion.ws/events.html for more info.

JimBb
Deep Thought

Post by JimBb » Sun May 09, 2004 8:30 am

warlockx wrote:Jim Bb good info thanks, can you post more info on how to get on all the small ones??
Actually by getting into Google and dmoz.org you are getting into a lot of search engines.
But admittedly: not into all. I was actually hoping that someone else would come up with similar info for other search engines, since I'm really not that much of an expert. But okay, gimme some time to research and I'll see what I can come up with :)

Jim

Aalexis
web counter beginner

JimBb

Post by Aalexis » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:02 am

:D JimBb u r everywhere...

robert1633
calculator

Post by robert1633 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:57 pm

It realy depends on a few things, #1 are you only intrested in submitting to US search Engines? or fourine also. Google has a search engine for just about every Country in the world, and many of them are easier to rank in KLets say you are ranked #25 for electronics in the US search engine, You may be #1 in Spain or Isriel or something. Most major SE's have seperate engines for other countries. I sobmit world wide becouse some of my jewelry ships world wide. I submit to around 300 SE and directories world wide, and I do mean SE"s not free for alls and such, only true directories and Search Engines. And a few speacial intrest SE's and directories. Most are automaticly submitted for me on a monthly basis, and a few are simi automatic, meaning that my info is stored on a form and I manualy (by clicking enter) go to a few sites and inter my stored forms. and type in the code, It takes me about 15 minutes. and I can submit multiple websites this way. I can send you a list of thes SE's, or just download the free limited version of the software I promote to see the full lisy of SE's and Directories. You will not be able to use them all in the limited version, but you will be able to use the major ones, (and be able to use some of its SEO options as well).

Gleedaniel13
tabulator

Re: Ranking in Google

Post by Gleedaniel13 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:46 am

Actually by getting into Google and dmoz.org you are getting into a lot of search engines.
But admittedly: not into all. I was actually hoping that someone else would come up with similar info for other search engines, since I'm really not that much of an expert. But okay, gimme some time to research and I'll see what I can come up with :)

Jim
Google I think is one of the most powerful one to use to rank higher on search engine.
Web Design Integration