Removing my site from search engine

Discuss any search engine issues with other GoStats members. Topics may include: how to promote your site to search engines, how to get your site indexed, and which search engine you like best.
kiaz

Removing my site from search engine

Post by kiaz » Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:17 pm

I want to have my site removed from the search engines, I didn't realize that people could go to my site through the search engines. I intended to have the gostats counter to see which servers people came through NOT have them visiters come from a search engine. Gostats must've indexed my page because I don't recall submitting a part of my site to those search engines. Is there a way I can remove myself from it? Thanks in advance.

rchmura
Site Admin

Post by rchmura » Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:12 pm

Hi, GoStats does include a directory of sites. There is an option to not be included in that directory. To modify your preferences with regard to the directory log into your account and select the "Configure top site link settings" link.

Now to prevent your page from being indexed by a search engine, you will need to include headers in your page relating to the spider/robot. To a search for robot and spidering to prevent your page from being indexed in search engines.

JimBb
Deep Thought

Post by JimBb » Fri Dec 26, 2003 6:17 am

In the Head section of each page you should have the following:

Code: Select all

<meta name="ROBOTS" content="noindex,nofollow">
That should prevent that particular page of being spidered, and the links from being followed. Once you're in a list I'm not sure if this will get you out, but I think it does. It could take a couple of weeks though, at least until you're spidered again.

Jim

braveheart007
master counter

hi

Post by braveheart007 » Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:24 pm

Google does this alot and it doesnt need to get the info from GoStats its quite capable all on its own lol
but what jim says is spot on , plus heres a little extra advice if you dont want to wait weeks you can get the pages out of Google within 24 hours
if you go to this page it will explain all

http://services.google.com:8882/urlcons ... uestStatus

hope this helps
Best wishes
Ian

charpressler

Post by charpressler » Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:03 pm

My site suddenly disappeared from Google. All that comes up now is the GoStats directory. ????
I have tried: 1) deleting & reinstalling the GoStats counter 2) contacting Google to send the spiders my way 3) adding HTML for the spiders and improving keywords and metatags. Anything else I should be doing -- and any idea why this happened in the first place? It's been an inconvenience to my students.
Thanks
Charlotte Pressler

braveheart007
master counter

Post by braveheart007 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:33 pm

Hello, Google will pick up GoStats separate from your site
if in it's next sweep it doesn't find your site looking for the counter it will delete that too but seeing as your site is there it should not only keep the counter entry but re-enter the site it's sitting on .
Google plays about with listing alot and can dump you whenever it feels like it ( I know, after being in the top 3 for 4 years it dumped me down to 60 but I'm back after 2 months to be ranked 3rd for my keywords )
if you want a hint as to how to get higher ranked in Google get entered into the directory that it takes it's highly rated data which is the open directory or DMOZ as it's known if you look a very high percentage of highly ranked sites also appear in DMOZ
the spiders for google update at least once a month but can be as much as twice weekly for top sites
updating keywords and new content is always a winner, Google loves body content more now than ever, it still uses meta keywords but only to categorize
your body text is where it looks now for the keywords it will rank you on
so basically give it a week or two it will come back , some sites are even dropped because when last spidered the server your site was on was down for 5 mins and it reported a 404 error but it does go back and have another look :)
hope all this helps
good luck
Ian

need keyword help

Post by need keyword help » Sun Mar 21, 2004 12:49 am

i have keywords and i have them in the coding corect i think, and i have listing in all search engines but when i type a keywork in mysites not in there anywher and i have a good rating, any ideas ?

JimBb
Deep Thought

Post by JimBb » Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:55 am

need keyword help wrote:any ideas ?
Without seeing the site? Kinda hard. Post an URL so we know what we're talking about.

Jim

grelmar
Human Abacus

Post by grelmar » Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:15 pm

Google, and a lot of the other search engines (but Google is God, so Google is the one most people are concerned with), don't pay much attention to meta tags anymore

What they're really looking at nowadays is the actual content on the page. And if that content is a lot of pictures or flash, then google sees a big blank space on the net it doesn't know how to file.

What it WILL look at is ält"tags in your picture sets, and also any text that's in the page. There's a trick you can use to your advantage here. If you don't want text on the page, but do want google to figure out what it is, set the font color to the same as your background color and type in a good description of your page, using as many keywaords as possible. The surfer wont see the text, but google will.

The pother thing google looks for is the # of links to your site, so it makes it well worth the effort to build up a good link exchange program.

JimBb
Deep Thought

Post by JimBb » Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:25 pm

grelmar wrote:There's a trick you can use to your advantage here. If you don't want text on the page, but do want google to figure out what it is, set the font color to the same as your background color and type in a good description of your page, using as many keywaords as possible. The surfer wont see the text, but google will.
Hmm, I'have always been told that this is recognizable by the googlebot, and they actually punish you for this...

Jim

grelmar
Human Abacus

Post by grelmar » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:55 am

Really? Well, larn something new everyday.

To be honest, its never been a big issue for me. I've always kinda worked with text heavy and gfx light sites. Pack 30 odd short stories and as many pieces of poetry onto a site, and you'd be amaze at how much response you get from google. ;)