ASP OR HTML

Discuss any search engine issues with other GoStats members. Topics may include: how to promote your site to search engines, how to get your site indexed, and which search engine you like best.
tuan
tabulator

ASP OR HTML

Post by tuan » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:44 am

Hi Everybody,

I have an concern about ASP that I have used for my site, somebody told me that, ASP is hard for ranking compare to HTML, is that true? If it is, how could I change it now to HTML?
thank you for your help.

Tuan

www.vietvaluetravel.com
Tuannguyen

JimBb
Deep Thought

Post by JimBb » Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:09 pm

That is true and that is not true.
A decent search engine (and the big ones are decent ones, all of them) will be able to spider just about everything. Here is what Google has to say about it.

What a search engine may have a problem with is following links that are too complicated. If you have a link like http://mysite.com/books.asp?language=FR ... title=Nana, then that may make a lot of sense to you, but it may cause a search engine to simply not be able to follow it.
http://mysite.com/books/zola-nana.asp would be a lot better.

But except for that a search engine has no problem with ASP or PHP or CGI.

Jim

ketanshah
five fingers

Post by ketanshah » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:21 am

Hi

Is ita fact that ASP pages do not fare well on SEs?

JimBb
Deep Thought

Post by JimBb » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:19 am

I just updated an entirely .html based site to .asp, since I was sick and tired of updating five million pages for every comma that needed adjusting, and the "include" function (like for a header and a footer) solves that nicely. Well, not quite five million, but still ;)
I had to leave the .html versions for those that link directly to a page, and those that would come through a search engine. So I did adjust quite a lot of the .html files so that all of their links would lead to the .asp pages.

It took about two weeks for MSN, Google and Yahoo to realize there is a change; today it is rare that someone still ends up on a .html page. And I have seen no change at all in the number of visitors, they search terms used, or the search engines used.

Jim

rchmura
Site Admin

Post by rchmura » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:36 am

And using the dynamic pages makes it easier to install and update the GoStats code :D

troublebarbara
Human Abacus

Post by troublebarbara » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:10 pm

rchmura wrote:And using the dynamic pages makes it easier to install and update the GoStats code :D
You got that right! That's one of the reasons I went to .cfm. It’s nice having the ability to blanket things across many pages and only have to update one file! I will never go back to .html.
Take care,
Barbara

sitecritic.net
web counter beginner

Post by sitecritic.net » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:19 pm

i reckoned asp is ok. nowsadays search engine are smart enough to even recognize long codes. few years ago, it is not ok.

grelmar
Human Abacus

Post by grelmar » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:59 am

I really need to update those posts on making a site Google Friendly.

You should be fine with ASP. If possible, have your ASP generate its URLs from the title of each document, instead of just using a random number. It creates another breadcrumb for the SEs to follow if the URL is descriptive.