Googles " Florida " Algorithm Are There Winners ?

Discuss any search engine issues with other GoStats members. Topics may include: how to promote your site to search engines, how to get your site indexed, and which search engine you like best.
braveheart007
master counter

Googles " Florida " Algorithm Are There Winners ?

Post by braveheart007 » Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:03 pm

Has anybody's ranking actually increased since the " Florida " algorithm was introduced in November or is it all bad news ?
what is bad news is the fact that Googles " Dancing " isn't over yet
so what steps have all you taken to protect those valuable positions on Google ?
jimb has started the ball rolling with this very good post which I'm sure everybody else can add there own little pieces of advice .
viewtopic.php?t=86
hope Google is playing fair with your site
best regards
Ian

JimBb
Deep Thought

Re: Googles " Florida " Algorithm Are There Winner

Post by JimBb » Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:54 pm

braveheart007 wrote:Has anybody's ranking actually increased since the " Florida " algorithm was introduced in November or is it all bad news ?
Difficult to say for me as I have a quite varied range of topics, and I haven't got a clue how well I did/do for many of them. I do notice that the same keywords still give me the same amount of traffic, so I guess it has hardly changed for me. But then again I've done my best not to rely on keywords alone, as I said in that post you mentioned it's the combination of keywords and content and so that counts - and it still does.

Jim

scrag
bean counter

Post by scrag » Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:15 am

I used to hardly get any hits to my site from google but recently have started getting a lot more. I don't know whether this is because google have changed their algorithm or my updating. My page rank has increased but I'm not sure when it happened.
We don't own the world, we borrow it from our children.
The Weird World of Us

JimBb
Deep Thought

Post by JimBb » Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:52 pm

Posting in this forum could do the trick as well :-) Your URL is in your signature, and the board gets spidered, so your PageRank might be influenced by that.

Jim

grelmar
Human Abacus

Post by grelmar » Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:15 pm

Good point Jim....

That's actually why I changed my siggy to what it is now, it includes some of the keywords I want taken into account in google crawls. I made the change to my siggy on this board and a few others about a month ago, and have noticed an increase in hits from google since.

I really does make a difference.

Also, there's a LONG article and series of posts on WMW about search engine optimization that I'm digesting, and re-difgesting, to try and figure out how to get mys site better placement in google. When I get it sorted out in my own head, I'll re-write it in somewhat less technical, but hopefully no less helpful terms for people here.

scrag
bean counter

Post by scrag » Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:37 am

I signed up, a long time ago, to an email newsletter called Site Pro News. I get at least one email a week from them that has a lot of useful information on SEO and web design.

Unfortunately I can't remember where I signed up for it, but it could be at exactseek, if anyone else wants to have a look. I find some of the articles very interesting and quite useful.
We don't own the world, we borrow it from our children.
The Weird World of Us

CliveTEC

Google Ranking

Post by CliveTEC » Wed May 05, 2004 1:36 pm

After having read the above posts, I have one burning question that I hope some body can answer for me.
How do you know what your Google ranking is?

http://CliveTEC.0catch.com/

Regards,
Clive.

rchmura
Site Admin

Post by rchmura » Wed May 05, 2004 7:48 pm

As I understand it, you will need to install the google toolbar with its advanced setting to see this information.

grelmar
Human Abacus

Post by grelmar » Thu May 06, 2004 9:51 am

I've been kinda keeping up with Google news lately, via webmasterworld.com , and there seems to be a feeling that Florida is no longer really the algorythm. There hasn't been 1 big change, but a whole pile of small ones over the past couple of months.

I've kinda noticed it in my site traffic, which has been on a ride (really up and down) over this same period.

Anyone else noted any big variability in their traffic from google?