What is a good search engine to use on webpage

Discuss any search engine issues with other GoStats members. Topics may include: how to promote your site to search engines, how to get your site indexed, and which search engine you like best.
kinnanes
tabulator

What is a good search engine to use on webpage

Post by kinnanes » Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:44 pm

Id like to put a search engine on my webpage, are there any good free ones that dont have advertising? :D

JimBb
Deep Thought

Post by JimBb » Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:34 am

Thinking that anything on the internet is really free is a myth. In the end someone will have to pay the bills. If it's not you by paying for the service it will be someone else, and that someone else will in almost all cases want something in return: advertisements. And in the remaining cases they want your email-address. I guess you can guess what for...

"Hey, but Gostats is free, isn't it?" No it is not. The servers cost, the time and effort cost, the internet connection costs, and so on. And all that is paid by showing a lot of ads everywhere. So someone is paying Richard for his effort and services.

Jim

kinnanes
tabulator

Can you make your own?

Post by kinnanes » Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:22 pm

Can you make your own search engine? Is there any way on Front Page or Dreamweaver that enables you to put a search engine on your website? Or maybe i should be asking what is a seach engine? i know what it does but how does it really work? Or if its too difficult to make your own what is a good search engine to use that costs money (not too much!) that doesnt have advertising? :?:

grelmar
Human Abacus

Post by grelmar » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:59 am

Short answer: Search engines are very, very complicated. Trying to develop your own search engine would be a daunting challenge.

The easiest way to insert a search engine into your site is to use something like Google's "sitesearch" or some other similar service.

http://www.google.com/searchcode.html#both

To check it out. Try putting it on a "test" page on your site, that has no links to it. Then spend some time running searches in it to see what kind of results come up, and whether or not it would truly be applicable to your needs. The downside to doing this, is that Google (and other engines) will deliver pages from your site, but the sponsor links will invariably be from people who are your competition.

The way around this would be to use a paid sitesearch service.

As far as I know, neither Frontpage or Dreamweaver have built in "site-search" fucntions. (though I hand code my pages, and don't use either piece of software, so I'm not exactly an expert in what they do.)

p.s. I haven't forgotten about your question about apropriate graphic sizes from the other thread. But, it's the holidays, and my time on the keyboard has been very, very limited, and a proper answer to that question will be somewhat detailed.

kinnanes
tabulator

thanks

Post by kinnanes » Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:23 pm

thanks :lol: I tried the google search engine, it was good but i didnt like the advertising so i took it off.

grelmar
Human Abacus

Post by grelmar » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:13 am

Found another one, haven't tried it yet, but it looks like it comes without the advertising:

http://sitesearch.gigablast.com/sitesearch.html

Gigablast is an "indy" search engine trying to gain a bit of visibility. I think the tradeoff is, you get a free site search, and in return, Gigblast gets a bit more "web presence" in an attempt to move more into the big leagues.

They recently (as in, a couple of days ago) crossed the 1 billion pages indexed. For a search engine with a staff of 1, I'd say that's reasonably impressive.

KantyShells
web counter beginner

Re: What is a good search engine to use on webpage

Post by KantyShells » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:47 am

I prefer Google search engine its the best which gives us active results.

lashunda5132
web counter beginner

Post by lashunda5132 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:26 am

Google is the best search engine to promote your web, because google is mostly used in the overall world..

johnparker92
web counter beginner

Post by johnparker92 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:29 am

According to me Google is the best search engine. It had billions of users, so, very useful to promote your webpage.

AlexAu
web counter beginner

Post by AlexAu » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:43 am

Withour advertising and free its impossible

markadams
web counter beginner

Post by markadams » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:35 pm

Google is the best and most advanced search engine. However, depending on which site builder you use, search results may redirect to Google's SERP rather than displaying on your site.

freddiking
web counter beginner

Post by freddiking » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:18 am

Google may be the best but Ask.com is great at answering questions.