ScepticThomas

Review each others website here. If you want your website reviewed, please review other websites.
drs1408@yahoo.com
five fingers

ScepticThomas

Post by drs1408@yahoo.com » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:41 am

Do you mind critiquing my site and letting me know if you think I need to add any particular topics? http://www.scepticthomas.com

rchmura
Site Admin

Post by rchmura » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:36 am

I like the layout and color scheme. The hover navigation links add a nice touch.

At first glance, it was somewhat difficult to read the text against the background image. It's always difficult to pull off such an effect without affecting some people. It might be a good idea to experiment with a background table with a solid background color with an added opacity value to help with highlighting the text.

My last note is something a graphics designer once scolded me for: multiple font faces in the same document. For some reason there are some design issues with mixing font faces on the page. Mixing serif and non-serif fonts heightens this effect. Perhaps if you try creating a duplicate copy with a uniform font face (but still retain the color and bold/italic/size differences). Check out the difference in readability between the two copies.

I hope this was helpful for you.

drs1408@yahoo.com
five fingers

ScepticThomas

Post by drs1408@yahoo.com » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:56 pm

Your comments are very helpful. Especially the one about the difficulty of reading the text against the backdrop. I've noticed that on some machines there is absolutely no problem with the contrast, but on others for some reason the text doesn't stand out as well.

I also agree with the mixed font rule of thumb. The interesting thing is that on my machine all the fonts are san serif. Apparently the fonts get translated differently on other systems.

Thanks again.

rchmura
Site Admin

Post by rchmura » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:04 pm

I noticed that Opera and FireFox both don't render the Trebuchet MS font as a sans-serif font. Perhaps you may want to change the references to Trebuchet MS in your css style to "Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif".

drs1408@yahoo.com
five fingers

ScepticThomas

Post by drs1408@yahoo.com » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:42 pm

Excellent idea about the font change. I'd forgotten I had experimented with Trebuchet early on.

Thanks again.

puertovallartafish
five fingers

cool background

Post by puertovallartafish » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:57 pm

I like your colors and especially the background is very nice. I would use red writing instead of the yellow on your home page and add a banner.