Georgina Ice Website

Review each others website here. If you want your website reviewed, please review other websites.
Georgina

Georgina Ice Website

Post by Georgina » Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:42 pm

The hockey team is done for the season, but I would appreciate any input on how to make the site better over the off season and for next year. The site is curently being hosted on a friends site and hopefully I'll be getting the go ahead soon to have its own domain.

You can find the site at http://www.headtrends.com/ice

Thanks,
Todd Hamblin
Webmaster
Georgina Ice

grelmar
Human Abacus

Post by grelmar » Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:49 am

Nice looking site. Good use of colors, nice clean layout, easy to navigate.

I'm not at my home machine, so you get the benefit of not getting run through the compatibility gauntlet, but from what I saw, I don't think there should be any problems there.

There is 1 thing that you should take a look at, though. The team pic on the front page is way, WAY too big of a file. 160K image on your frontpage is, just too much. You should be able to optimizie it down to 40, maybe 50k tops without losing any picture quality, if you use decent optimization software.

Other than that, great job.

how
five fingers

Post by how » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:47 pm

You have a sharp site going. I looks fine in my browser, Mac with Safari.

If you were to make any changes I would suggest two. Limit the navigation bar choices and change the back ground color.

Navigation Bar:
In my browser, the font size shows up quite small. You might consider making it larger. I would combine some of the links and pages to one page, like players and staff could be contained on one page and simply listed as Bios. Roster, standing, Stats, I wouldn't know if any of this can logically be placed together on one page.
At the bottom of your home page I would place a separate logo or button next to the Junior "C" logo. This logo would be where I would put the NEWS link.

Background.
I did a little research into the color scheme. Blue, White, Black. It is missing a complementary color. I suggest using a complementary color for the background color.

Code: Select all

BODY text=#000000 vLink=#660000 aLink=#cc0000 link=#990000 bgColor=#000066
You have #000066, right now. That is an unmixed and therefore a bit of a harsh color. Using a digital color meter, I found 3 other colors within the uniforms of the players in the jpeg. These blues are #0b1f78, #2057bc, and #284c9a. The differences may seem unnoticeable, however they are colors which complete the color spectrum. I used them to find a suitable complementary color.

Now I know that these colors do not fit into the color "safe" zone. However, I have always felt that Safe is a poor choice of words. The Idea is that a color outside of the zone may look differently on different systems. Which even colors within the zone do. I like to call them "Steady Colors", they tend to look the same in all monitors. With all that noted, I have found several different colors you may want to try out for your background.

First I have narrowed the unsafe color choice down to one: #d7b365, it is a classic, soft complementary buff color which will accent the colors of the uniforms and make any of the Blue elements stand out.

The steady colors I propose are #ffcc66, or #ffcc33. Both are similar to the buff color. Lastly, if you decide you do like the blue background, I would suggest one of these two steady blues: #cc9900 and #ffdd55.

I know this is more information than we needed today, however I hope it is helpful.

Robt.

Georgina

Post by Georgina » Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:03 pm

Thanks,
It did take me a few reads to digest what it was you posted but I have been tinkering a little bit and I appreciate all the input

Sukona Karate UK
five fingers

Post by Sukona Karate UK » Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:30 am

I think that your website is very clear and well structured, I know absolutely nothing about ice hockey but everything the viewer needs to know is there. Apart from that there's not really much I can say about it.
All you need to know about Sukona Karate.
Sukona Karate Online

JimBb
Deep Thought

Post by JimBb » Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:06 pm

Grelmar commented already about the front page's weight, it is 240 KB in total. I'm sure some images can be reduced in weight without touching the size or the quality. A front page should not be "heavier" than 30-50 KB. You want it to load fast for everyone, including the 56KB people (which are more than you would think). After that you can have a heavy graphical site (you better warn your visitors if that is the case), but that first page has to eb lightning fast.

The links on the left are the only things that don't look the same in every browser: some show an underline, some don't. And maybe some "hover" effect (different color, underline, whatever) that more clearly indicates that these are links could be a good idea. I know, they look Oh, and I wondered why some players had their name in blue and some in black?

"Welcome to the Homepage of the Georgina Ice Jr C Hockey Team". This may seem so logical to you, but a lot of sites can learn from that little line. Right from the start I know what this site is about (okay, the picture sort of hinted in that direction too :D ) but this is something that is often forgotten by many.

And I rally like the overall-layout, and the fact that it is exactly the same everywhere. You really invite the visitor to explore, that look-and-feel makes the site feel as if one can't "get lost".
Good job.

Jim

5ean
calculator

Post by 5ean » Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:55 am

very proffessional looking but logo is a bit slow on my machine. not much to add to what has been said but enjoyable to look at and very informative. I would be very pleased if I had done it!!!

Georgina

Post by Georgina » Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:42 pm

Whats the best way to lower the size of my main picture without losing sharpness or resolution? I have tried in photshop to save it smaller and I get a fuzzy picture that is hard to make out faces.

D-Love

Post by D-Love » Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:16 am

You can easily lower the file size in Photoshop. Open the picture, then click "save as", save it in jpg format (or whatever format you choose). In JPEG, it has a bar you can move for the quality. Bring it down to a 4 or 5 (whatever the lowest "medium" setting is) and save. I brought it down to about 60kb with that setting, but you may be able to go lower and still retain a quality picture.

Great site! Informative and definitely has all the trappings I would look for in a sports team home page.

ohenghee
five fingers

Post by ohenghee » Mon May 17, 2004 11:07 am

Nice structure of the site.

The top graphic kind of disappears into the background however.

Colours work, but an additional colour scheme could prove beneficial

www.ohenghee.com
"Prove to yourself then share with the world"

hostivo
tabulator

Post by hostivo » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:49 am

Nice logo. But your site could load a little bit faster which would be a plus.

tuan
tabulator

Post by tuan » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:59 am

I think it is good looking site. personally, I like those sites which show what all about so people can be easily to find info, product...etc
Nice color too.

Tuan
www.vietvaluetravel.com
Tuannguyen

whatboards
web counter beginner

Post by whatboards » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:29 pm

Very cool. I like how you did the Georgina Ice colors at the top. I clicked all the links and they're all working. very impressive.

Ron
bean counter

Post by Ron » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:40 pm

I love the layout. Nice job ;)

hk999
web counter beginner

Post by hk999 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:19 pm

congradulation on the new domain name! looking very good, nice job!